Thursday, June 17, 2004

Quiz Time, If You Can Remeber 

It's been a few days since I blogged. Work and trying to get my car fixed has decimated my free time, so here is a cheater posting: A ripoff from Michele at A Small Victory, who in turn got it from Joe at The Short Strange Trip (gotta love the Web). As Monty Python used to say, this one is a bit of a poser. Of course, I'm such a complete geek that I remember all these events pretty clearly:

1. Where were you when you heard that Ronald Reagan died?

Back at my mom's in Fresno. I was back to get her to sign papers so I could get the car released from the police. When I hooked up my laptop, the Yahoo! page popped up with the headline. Right away I knew the country would grind to a halt, and we would get endless round-the-clock coverage.


2. Where were you on September 11, 2001?

Asleep. At least I was until 6:20am or so (I saved my cell phone bill that lists the calls of that day). I was working grave shift at the time, and I decided a few days before to take off Sunday night and Monday night. At work we got a couple days a quarter to take off, but it was use them or lose them. I had all my days saved up, so I decided to take a mini-vacation.

The previous day, the 10th, I played Tourist-for-a-Day in San Francisco, something I hadn't done since I moved to the Bay Area. It couldn't have one better, except I didn't realize the Exploritorium was closed on Mondays. While climbing the steps to Coit Tower, I stopped to take a picture for a Japanese couple presumably on vacation. The funny thing was that as I walked west, I bumped into them a couple more times as they went about their own day. After the fact, I wonder how it must have been terrifying for them the next day: They were stuck in the USA with little knowledge of English, unsure if San Francisco would be next and they would be caught up in it.

On the 11th, I planned on sleeping in, getting laundry done, and do some basic housekeeping. When my cell phone ringed, I immediately knew two things were wrong, it was my friend Sami and it was 6:20 in the morning. Bad News, it had to be bad news. After saying hello, I managed a smart-assed remark along the lines of "Has the President been shot?" I was told to turn on the TV.

I managed to break the news to a couple people that day: my mom and my college friend Yvette. Yvette got to start a day with a message from me telling her to be extremely careful at work in light of the day's events, since she worked near LAX. She would tell me later that was the most surreal wakeup call she ever got.

After being emotionally paralyzed in from of the TV for hours, I decided I needed to do SOMETHING, ANYTHING to get up and not be beaten down by it all. In the end, the laundry got done. Small potatoes, but it was my beginning contribution to the Global War on Terror. In the evening, I drove to Ocean Beach on the west side of San Francisco. There were definitely more people there than usual, pretty much doing what I was doing: staring out at the Pacific wondering how the hell could today have happened.


3. Where were you when you heard that Princess Diana died?

Visiting another college friend, Alex, in Long Beach near LA. I was staying with him and his family a few days, and we just returned from watching a college volleyball match. When we walked into the house, I was wondering why Sky News was on the TV.


4. Do you remember where you were when you heard Kurt Cobain had died?

Interesting one. I was in a high school volunteer club meeting hanging out with a friend who I happened to have a mad crush on. Someone came up and told us Kurt Cobain died. Me and her had the exact same reaction "Who is that?" "The lead singer of Nirvana." "Ohhhh."


5. Take one for The Gipper: WhatÂ’s your favorite flavor of jelly bean?

Black. Just because everyone I know hates them, Heh Heh.


6. Where were you when Magic Johnson announced he was retiring from the NBA due to AIDS?

At home watching the news. That happened to be another day I played hookey, this time from high school after being sick the day before. I'm beginning to think I shound avoid the news when I take days off.


7. Where were you when Reagan was shot?

I was in kindergarten (I think). The only thing I remember was thinking: "That doesn't look like someone got shot to me."


8.Where were you when the Challenger exploded?

In elementary school, watching with the rest of my class on TV.


9. Where were you when the 0J verdict was announced?

In a chemistry lab at Fresno City College. The instructor asked us if we wanted to know, then said "Not Guilty." I didn't completely trust that news until I saw it at home.



I'll add one of my own, at the risk ov ODing on OJ. It was 10 years ago tonight that OJ Simpson's Bronco Chase changed the way news is broadcast (for the FAR worse in my opinion, and I suspect many others' opinions as well).


10. Where were you when the OJ led the police on a slow speed LA freeway chase?

I was NOT watching OJ, I was at a high school graduation party. A couple of us wanted to watch the NBA Finals game on, but they shoved the game into a tiny corner of the screen. We ignored that part of the screen, and watched the game as best as we could. I still think it was the right choice.


Does any of this bring back memories???



Comments:
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 
Yes it does...
1. In the truck, after leaving work that morning.

2. I was alseep, till my dad woke me up saying i should see this on the news. SInce I had missed the chance to go to the top on my last visit, I knew I missed something.

3.I was up in Mammoth. I had a bad streak of Mammoth rips for awhile. Princess Diana, Chris Farely. Not too big a list, but it was there nonetheless.

4. No idea.

5. I don't eat Jelly Beans.

6. 7th or 8th grade Journalism class, working on the year book. One of the few classes where we had a tv in, for viewing during class. Very progressive teacher that one.

7. No idea again.

8. Wasn't watching it on tv.

9. Probably in school, but I don't recall

10. I was at home. My mom was hosting a bunco night for all the teachers, and several wanted to watch that. Society is worse off for it I think, but there is a place for watching car chases live. Best idea I see, is the Car Chase Channel, all car chases, all the time. If nothing is live in the country, we show a tape. Most often showed copy: the tank in San Diego
 
Post a Comment