Monday, July 26, 2004

Back to the Center 

Back on Tuesday, I started work later that day, so I had the morning free. When my schedule was less busy (as in no job) I would got volunteer at The Marine Mammal Center on Tuesdays. It had been a few months since I had last been up there, so I decided to go for a few hours.

OK, so why do I bother to drive around an hour out of my way so that I can do physical labor on my time off? The people there are nice, it feels good to help out,
and working there helps me get my marine bio fix, since it was my major in college. It may yet open doors on a future paid position. Perhaps my favorite reason to do it is to see the look on people's faces when I tell them that I go into an enclosed pen with a group of seals to clean or feed them, armed with only a wooden board with handles.

Yes, I'm nuts.

I don't care. It's fun, and I haven't been bitten yet.

I was planning on taking some pics of our "guests" with my new mini-digital camera, but I didn't remember the camera until I was heading out. If you must have a seal/sea lion fix, veteran Tuesday Day crew member Stan has a bunch of photos to see. At least I got some photos of the Marin Headlands, where the Center is located. Another perk of volunteering.


Taken on the road to the Center, looking South. Posted by Hello

This photo is looking over a nice lagoon nearby, looking toward the old Nike Missile base (it's actually over the next hill). The site is pretty cool, although I admit I need to check it out myself. It's supposed to be the only historic site in the US relating to the Cold War (I could be wrong). Actually, The Marine Mammal Center site is built on a similar missile site, and we store our extra boots and slickers in one of the missile silos (neat!).



Looking West Toward Rodeo Beach. Posted by Hello

Rodeo Beach is actually a pretty nice beach, but it's too chilly on an overcast day like this one.



Another photo of the beach. Posted by Hello

I like the Headlands. Deer run around wherever they want, the terrain is spectacular, and because it's all former military land, there are all sorts of historic looking old buildings scattered around. I hope I can fit going there more often into my work schedule.

Comments: Post a Comment