Monday, July 19, 2004

Proof Office Life Is Evil 

Since I work in a lab job, I don't spend as much time in an office environment as most people. I still got a chuckle out of this Wall Street Journal article.


"It was a sad reminder that I should never again attempt to garden at the office," she says, recalling that colleagues had warned her that "nothing can grow in this lifeless government agency."

But Ms. Virgil should take heart: Not much, it seems, can grow in nongovernmental agencies either. As one of mankind's most synthetic creations, the workplace is anathema to nature -- with the exception, of course, of the vermin and predatory colleagues that thrive there.



Naturally, my mind goes back to the office in the movie Joe vs. The Volcano, where Tom Hanks' character must work in an office where all personal expression and joy is ruthlessly and efficiently crushed.

My advice is to keep at it. The other day I found a houseplant that I left out on the balcony. I had basically left it for dead, but it was barely alive. I'm glad this tough plant lived through my last job, when I was to distracted to worry about mundane things like watering plants. I guess all this corny rambling is basically about not giving up when life sucks, because people and plants are tougher than we realize.


Comments: Post a Comment