Wednesday, October 13, 2004

Liveblogging III: One More Time 

OK, this is the last Presidential debate. Last chance for each candidate to talk to a big audience. It will be interesting to see if there is any new ground covered.

5:57 PM PDT FoxNews reminds us that this is supposed to be a Domestic Agenda debate. Any bets on how soon someone mentions Iraq or the War on Terror? I say less than 60 seconds.

6:03 LMAO! Bush and Kerry are dressed like twins!

6:05 Bush to young people: "Don't get a flu shot this year?" Factually correct, but the wording was kind of harsh.

6:14 I personally like the last debate's format. The format with both men stuck behind a podium is too dry.

6:20 Kerry makes a very lame Sopranos reference.

6:26 Homesexuality a choice or not? What an odd question. Both candidates get to ride the fence now.

6:39 Kerry and Bush are arguing over whether Kerry can pay for his health plan. People with more time and brains than me can fact-check it and settle it.

6:45 Bush sounds sincere about wanting to tackle Social Security. Personally, I'm not counting on it being there by the time I qualify.

6:47 Kerry nails Bush on increasing the deficit, but really doesn't answer how he will fix Social Security.

7:12 Assault weapons, immigration, affirmative action. I'm having trouble getting into this debate. I'm interested in Iraq, the War on Teror, jobs, and since it's a personal interest, the environment. This debate is a September 10th debate.

7:23 A good light moment: A question about the role of strong women in each candidate's life. Bush turns on the folksy charm. Kerry gets a few laughs, but charm is Bush's strength.

7:31 I don't know, maybe Bush did a little better this time. I wasn't as interested as the last two. I suppose this will be considered a tie again. And I liked the format and pacing of the last debate much better.


Comments:
You completely skipped over the part where they got into Bush's religious views, and how they affect his presidency. Bush's response started out well, but then he used the words "faith-based initiative," and basically alienated all Atheists (and anyone who respects that they don't want any "faith-based initiatives" coming out of the government).

I think Kerry gave an excellent rebuttal on the religion front when he said, "And frankly, I think we have a lot more loving of our neighbor to do in this country and on this planet." He made a direct hit to Bush's "love thy neighbor" comments. Kerry also said, "And as president, I will always respect everybody's right to practice religion as they choose -- or not to practice -- because that's part of America."

Other than that, I found this debate to be the least interesting as well. I listened to a lot of it on the radio, and it seemed like both candidates were spouting the same rhetoric from the two previous debates, especially in their closing statements.

I was listening to a post-debate discussion on KNX 1070, and one woman said she was very disappointed with the final, light-hearted question about the women in their lives. She said that with all the serious issues they hadn't tackled yet in the debate, it was a waste of time to ask such a pointless question (whose aim was clearly to find out who can come up with the most endearing one-liner). Then, a man called in and said that, as pointless as that question might have seemed, charm is a big part of getting the public to vote for you, even if it has nothing to do with the policies that will shape this country. Good point...sigh. People are morons.

-Helen-
 
Shit! we missed the best line of the night!

JK said:Well, two leading national news networks have both said the president's characterization of my health-care plan is incorrect. One called it fiction. The other called it untrue.

GWB said:In all due respect, I'm not so sure it's credible to quote leading news organizations about -- oh, never mind.

Ha!!!!!

Caltechgirl
 
I'm Dan Rather and I approve this message.
Kind of.
Sort of.
Ehh, not really.
It's good to be in DC!
 
Post a Comment