Tuesday, December 21, 2004

Dreaming of a White (Hot) Christmas 

I'm back from LA, where I visited my college buddy Yvette. I swear, at this time of year my car logs more miles than a racecar at LeMans. Later this week, I go to Fresno for Christmas festivities, then on New Year's I've committed to return to Southern California to party it up.

But I digress, ...well somewhat. I decided to drive down to LA from Fremont (LA is too close to bother with airport hassles, and I wasn't in the mood for a slower train ride). I took the fastest way down, the long stretch of highway running through no-man's land that is officially refered to as Interstate 5.

After slicing through about four hours of dense fog in the San Joaquin Valley, I was finally able to climb over the hills and Greater LA. It's pretty obvious why about 20 million people decided to make Southern California their home: The approximate temperature in Fremont was 50 degrees, in Fresno it was around 40, in LA it was well over 80 degrees.

The next day, I spent about half an hour walking around with my winter coat, stuck on autopilot, before I caught up to reality and ditched the coat for a short-sleeved shirt. Meanwhile, half of the shopping crowd milled about in shorts. Would it be that bad to live in that LA smog? It might be nice to spend Christmas Day on the beach.

On the other hand, I can see how a White Christmas would be something to dream about. Growing up in Fresno, a White Christmas meant not being able to see across the street because of the dense fog. It looks like a lot of the country will either have snow on the ground, or have a layer of frost and ice for Christmas. All I wish for is to not blindly hit the car ahead of me. Has anyone tried a Hawaiian Christmas yet? I wouldn't mind trying that one next year.

Comments:
I think we're going to get a White Christmas.....
 
Post a Comment