Saturday, December 04, 2004

Gotta Make Those Minimum Payments 

Aha! Now here is a better way to survival financially than doing all that pesky job search and working stuff:


California Man Owns 1,497 Credit Cards.

PISMO BEACH, Calif. (AP) -- He's a plastic millionaire.

Walter Cavanagh -- also known as "Mr. Plastic Fantastic" -- has a wallet nearly as long as a football field to carry his credit cards.

Cavanagh owns 1,497 valid credit cards (he assumes a card is valid until he hears otherwise) with a potential credit line of about $1.7 million.




OK, so obviously this is kind of a "Ha ha, how funny." story. But it is disturbing to think that I could get 1,000 credit cards if I really worked at it. It's a well known fact that we don't save enough money in this country, and that consumers are cajoled into living from one impulse buy to the next.

Believe me; I have no problem with spending $1.7 million if I could get my hands on it. It's just that comes up must come down, and I would eventually have to pay all that money back with interest.

Every day, I end up throwing away at least one credit card offer I get in the mail. I want to stay fiscally disciplined, but the banks make sure the temptation to go deep into debt is always present. Hey, if Trump can seek bankruptcy, it can be so bad, right?

Fortunately, I'm beginning to understand that useless crap won’t make me happy, and it's much better to not be enslaved by financial obligations. But a little rampant consumerism is OK, right? I could still get that 37 inch plasma TV for the NFL Playoffs. Of course, it's not like the 49ers will be anywhere near the playoffs. I guess they prove getting into debt does have its consequences. I'll just do what financially savvy people do when they want the finer things in live, convince loved ones to give me nice gifts and run up their debt instead!

Ahh, capitalism.

Comments:
There is a Dilbert comic from about 7 years ago(I'm estimating). The basic plan: Dogbert gets one credit card, uses it to be approved for more. He would end up with enough float on the cards, and movement of credit, that he could buy the world. I'll look for the actual comic in the morning. Something fun to search for.
 
Post a Comment