Wednesday, December 01, 2004

Silent Cal 

I was reading through a book, and it included a quote about Calvin Coolidge and persistence. Old Cal was the 30th Persident of the United States, and among its least dazzling. It reminded me of a story about him I heard in a history class:


Coolidge was a some kind of party or something, and a lady walks up to him and says "I made a bet that I could get you to say more than two words here tonight.

Cal supposedly responded: "You lose." That was it from him in the conversation department.


Oh well, I thought it was funny at the time.

Comments:
Holy Shit. You posted something!!!
Coolio.

See you tomorrow :)
 
Silent Cal didn't talk much, but when he did, it was usually dead on.. Some of my favorites:

"Prosperity is only an instrument to be used, not a deity to be worshipped." June 11, 1928

"No man ever listened himself out of a job."

"I have never been hurt by anything I didn't say.",

"Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong." and

"Men speak of natural rights, but I challenge any one to show where in nature any rights existed or were recognized until there was established for their declaration and protection a duly promulgated body of corresponding laws."

CalTechGirl was right-- excellent site!
 
Post a Comment