Thursday, January 27, 2005

My Old Friend Insomnia 

It seems like I've always had sleep issues. At least I know where they come from. My mother usually takes the obligatory afternoon nap. One of the highlights of Thanksgiving is the betting pool the cousins set up to guess the time my uncle will be passed out in the living room. I come from a family that needs a lot of sleep.

Add the fact that I have trouble getting to sleep, and almost as much trouble getting up. Trying to keep my circadian rhythms somewhere approaching normal is a full-time job. When I am "unencumbered by work," as I currently am, my body wants to play the role of night owl. When Drew Barrymore was talking to Letterman Conan O'Brien about laying awake at 4am, thinking about things like "Vanna only turns the letters right-to-left" (Is that backwards? ed.), I was with her. I'm glad I have an active, inquisitive brain, but an "Off" switch would be really useful to have.

Today was one of those days my body demanded payment on a sleep debt. There's little that's more disorienting than falling asleep in a bright room and waking up in a dark room. Is it Thursday or Friday? Oh well.

I ended up remembering my dreams pretty well, something I can do about a third of the time. This dream was noteworthy (hence blogworthy) because one of the features of the dream was that I dreamed I was asleep and dreaming. As Homer Simpson would say, "Cosmic." The funny part was, in my dream I was woken up by my mom, but then went back to sleep. (No, it couldn't have really happened, I live alone.) I wonder if, since I was dreaming I was asleep, that counts as double my sleep time. It would sure be an efficient way to recharge my batteries.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to see if I can get back to sleep and get those people who were throwing knives at me. Don't ask.

Comments:
Heh. Go kick John in the 'nads. (hehehemhehe...you said 'nads)
 
My Old Friend Insomnia

Hey Blogger, you got an interesting blog here! I'm definitely bookmarking you right now!

I have a Fantasy Knives site. It pretty much covers
hand crafted knife related stuff.

Come and check out hand crafted knife if you get time :-)
 
My Old Friend Insomnia

Hey Blogger, you have a pretty good blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a hand crafted knife Fantasy Knives. It pretty much covers
hand crafted knife related stuff.

Come and check out hand crafted knife if you get time, Nice going !
 
My Old Friend Insomnia

Hey Blogger, you have a pretty good blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a knife Fantasy Knives. It pretty much covers
knife related stuff.

Come and check out knife if you get time, Nice going !
 
Post a Comment