Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Ash Tuesday 


Ash plume from Mount St. Helens, visable from downtown Portland, (KGW photo)Posted by Hello

I don't quite know how I'd feel if I had a volcano in my backyard. Especially those times when it decides to remind everyone that it's there.

It looks like Mount St. Helens decided to wake up, from Portland, Oregon TV station KGW:

MOUNT ST. HELENS, Wash. -- The U.S. Geological Survey said a 36,000-foot plume of steam and ash emerged from Mount St. Helens on Monday evening; it was visable from downtown Portland and elsewhere around northwest Oregon and southwest Washington.

The eruption about 5:25 p.m. (US Pacific Time) was the largest one to occur at the volcanic mountain in months. It followed increased earthquake acitivity that was reported just minutes before the eruption occured.


If I was in the area, I'm sure I would try to get closer to get a closer look. But I wouldn't want to be the one to volunteer to appease the volcano. Anyone have suggestions about who we should throw in?

UPDATE: It's only 6:58pm PST (1.5 hours after the event), and the Wikipedia Mt. St. Helens page has already been updated! Beat that Brittanica!

Comments: Post a Comment