Saturday, April 02, 2005

Sin City 

I went out last night with friends and watched the new movie Sin City. Based on the comic books of the same name, Sin City was created along the lines of Pulp Fiction: a series of stories featuring different characters acting out their lives against a backdrop of a corrupt, violence-ridden city.

This movie makes Kill Bill, Volume I look like a game of patty-cake. I think this is the best way to describe the level of violence in the movie: One of my friends and I were rehashing one of the scenes in the movie, and I said "Do you remember the part with the decapitation?" To which she responded: "Which decapitation?"

As a whole, the violence, nudity, and overall pacing and look of the movie push through the boundaries of believability. After awhile, I stopped being shocked and started being amused. However, this was not a big deal since the movie didn't take itself very seriously anyway. As long as you can deal with body parts flying all over the place, people being eaten, and a large does of misogyny, I recommend seeing this movie. Saying "This film is not for everyone" would be the understatement of the year.

That being said, one part of the movie-going experience really got to me. About thirty minutes into the movie, I heard the voice of a small child. Sure enough, about five rows down were a man and a woman, together with their little boy who couldn’t have been older than three years old. Ahem, excuse me, but couldn't these "parents" find a relative or babysitter to watch the boy for a few hours? Was it too much of a bother to read a description of the movie, and understand that this ultra-violent R rated movie just might not be the best place for a toddler? ARRRGH!!!! To those of you reading who know me personally, if I even turn out to be such a bad parent in the future, feel free to come over and beat me within an inch of my life.

Comments:
Well, well... Guess what, dude - I was that child about 25 years ago. Granted, my parents were those who had HBO and we watched many horror-type shows together. I can remember going to see movies where I know that I was one of very few (read: just me and my siblings) children at a rated R movie with my mother. I guess that my family was just pretty open and we actually KNEW THE DIFFERENCE between "make believe" and real life.
Who knows about this kid. He might become the next Spielberg or (much worse: Charles Manson) something. Have I turned out all that bad, Ben?

--CTG's DH
 
And, I was the child whose mother didn't let her see any PG-13 movies before 13, and no R-rated movies until at least HS. Although I disagreed with her at the time, I think it was the right thing to do now.

I'm an anti-censorship, liberal woman...but it's sad how quickly children are growing up these days.

I happen to agree with Ben on this one.
 
Helen, I see your point of view. I haven't seen this movie yet, and I doubt that I will until it comes out on DVD. I feel sad that you were not able to make up your own mind about movies. I guess that it is just "to each their own".
I do believe that children are growing up quite quickly these days. I have a student that had a second child 2 months ago and had another student last semester that missed the last 3 weeks of school due to the birth of her first. I am a teacher and I have students teaching me about some things that I never wanted to know, or learn about. The topics range from drugs (uses, creation, lingo, etc) to sex, to anything and everything not related to science...
I just don't think that it is all due to the stuff that people see on TV, or in the movies, or wherever. It is what you do with it, not really what it is...

--CTG's DH
 
Post a Comment