Sunday, June 05, 2005

Star Wars: Revenge of the Pooped 

If I wait until I'm not pooped, tired, wiped out or whatever, I'm never going to blog again, so here is my Revenge of the Sith review:

I held out seeing until last week, when some old coworker buddies finally broke me down. I've mentioned my, ahem...ambivalent feelings toward the Star Wars franchise previously. More than anything, I just wanted a decent movie. Not a Life-Changing Cultural Event, just a movie that didn't waste my time.

Finally, after three prequels, I got a movie I could actually enjoy.

There were a few things that stood out for me (spoilers below).

*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*

* Okay, I admit it. While I didn't get teary-eyed like Michele did, I got goosebumps when that opening screen came on "Long ago in a galaxy far far away." And the crescendo with "Star Wars" on the screen. I forgot how much the previous two movies bugged me, and I was back in time when I was a kid watching "return of the Jedi" in the theater. Just goosebumps.

* In a way, it's too bad this is the last movie, because it seemed like Hayden Christiansen was really growing into the role of Anakin/Darth Vader. Maybe someone could make Episode 3 1/2.

* I thought the scene with Mace Windu and Palpatine was well done. The best part was that it was Mace that actually showed weakness by wanting to kill Palpatine, and this was the last straw for Anakin. Of course, the real motivation for saving Palpatine was to keep Padme alive, but still it was Mace that forced Anakin's hand.

* It was kind if strange how the best and worst parts of the movie were part of the same act. The best scene was when Vader was fitted with the mask; the sound it made when it went on was just chilling. And then the first of those breaths....But then, the scene when Vader rises, and Palpatine asks "Lord Vader, can you hear me?" That meek concern and Emperor Palpatine just don't go together for me. And yes, I did find Vader's "NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!" cheesy. I know he had to express his anguish and realization of his fate somehow, but I thought it could have been done better.

* So General Grievous is a robot, right? Why in the hell does he cough then?!? He's a General, shouldn't someone then "fix" his cough? Whatever.

* The whole lava, Vader vs. Obi-wan scene was excellent. Really well done both with acting and effects. Somehow Ewan McGregor managed to pull it off when he yelled "You were the chosen one," despite the potential kitsch factor and it was played into the ground on all the commercials.

* I agree with Caltechgirl, Yoda dispatching the Imperial Guards was the funniest moment in the movie.


The bottom line for me was this is by far the best of the three prequels, but still a notch below the originals. Still, I can buy the entire saga on DVD and have four out the six movies that I can enjoy over and over again.

That wasn't so tough...I should always blog while tired.

Comments:
Yeah Ben!!!
 
Post a Comment