Thursday, June 09, 2005

Thirty 

Today is my birthday, yah! Since I'm currently in "job transition," I don't have any hedonistic mega-parties planned to celebrate (maybe Vegas for next year). Instead my indulgence of choice is food, local Pizz'a Chicago and Krispy Kreme while watching Game 1 of the NBA Finals.

Thirty certainly didn't sneak up on me; I've been aware it's been coming for a couple of years now. Still though, I can't help but have the human reaction of, "Where did the time go?” I guess I'm not a kid anymore, yet I still feel like I'm twelve years old. I don't feel like an "old person" (...ducks as those readers older than him throw bricks...)

I think I've worked through the seven stages of grief over this. I had my long stretch of dread, but now I see the start of a new decade alive as a chance to have a fresh start. I have some decent job prospects that I hope work out soon. Plus, I'm doing good work volunteering for a couple of marine bio/environmental organizations, which I may very well do for a living in the future. I still have a chance to get exactly what I want in life, so I can't complain.

Pretty soon, I'll be able to show off my birthday present, my new Sony digital camera. Thanks to Caltechgirl for her verbal advice, and the Insta-shutterbug for his posts on the subject. I'm not much of a photo taker, but I think the instant nature of digital photography might turn me into one. Lots of pictures to come soon.

To close, I'll engage in a little bit of cheerleading to show that good stuff happened on my birthday, thanks to the all-mighty Wikipedia:

Births:

1939: Sportscaster Dick Vitale
1961: Michael J. Fox
1973: Teddy Bruschi of the NFL champion New England Patriots
1977: Peja Stojakovich of the NBA's Sacramento Kings
1981: Natalie Portman

Events:

68 AD: Roman Emperor Nero (he's the one who fiddled while Rome burned) commits suicide.

1934: Donald Duck made his debut.

1954: Joseph Welch makes his famous retort to infamous Senator Joseph McCarthy, who led the anti-Communist witch hunts of the 1950's: "Have you no sense of decency, sir? At long last, have you left no sense of decency?"

1975: The first live broadcast of the British Parliament. Thanks to this breakthrough, people came to realize the weekly Prime Minister's Questions is as entertaning a football (as in soccer) argument in an English pub.

Today is also the feast of Saint Columcille, one of Ireland's three patron saints. Another good reason to hoist a Guinness today. Brilliant!

Comments:
Happy Birthday to you!
 
Happy Birthday!!!!!!!!

Oh, and btw, you're not really 30, are you? ;)
 
Thank you both, and yes I am. Hummph!!
 
Hi Blogger, I found your blog informative. While out blog surfing today for specific info on photography portfolio, I ended up on your page. Your Thirty shows that I ended up a little off base, but I am certainly glad I stopped by. I will bookmark your site for a future visit, and should you ever need it, there is plenty of information on this site about photography portfolio.
 
Hi Blogger, I was out blog surfing looking for some info on lighting photography when I ended up on your page. Obviously I ended up a little off base, but your topic caught my eye. W hile I am here, I just wanted to drop a quick note to comment your blog...now to move on and continue my search for lighting photography. I am going to
bookmark your site for future reference and reading. Should you ever need it, you can get specific information about lighting photography at the site above.
 
Hi Blogger...Wow! While I was searching for info on photography portfolio I somehow found your page. Obviously I ended up a little off base, but I am certainly glad I stopped by for a read. While I am here, I just wanted to drop a quick note to comment your blog...now to move on and continue my search for photography portfolio. Should you ever need it, there's lots of information on this site about #KEYWORD##.
 
Hi Blogger, I found your blog informative. While out blog surfing today for specific info on life photography still, I ended up on your page. Your Thirty shows that I ended up a little off base, but I am certainly glad I stopped by. I will bookmark your site for a future visit, and should you ever need it, there is plenty of information on this site about life photography still.
 
Hi Blogger, your blog is excellent. As I was surfing around today looking for detailed info on horse photography I somehow ended up on your page. As your Thirty is not exactly related to my search, I am certainly glad I stopped by. Oh well, back to surfing and I am sure I will find what I am looking for, and should you ever need information about horse photography, then stop by for a look. Thanks for the post.
 
Hi Blogger, I found your blog informative. While out blog surfing today for specific info on horse photography, I ended up on your page. Your site shows that I ended up a little off base, but I am certainly glad I stopped by. I will bookmark your site for a future visit, and should you ever need it, there is plenty of information on this site about horse photography.
 
Post a Comment