Sunday, July 10, 2005

We Are Not Afraid 

Busy weekend this was. A trip to my mom's in Fresno was on the agenda; I hadn't been back in two months. Plus, I got to see Caltechgirl, her husband GMT, plus Caltechmom and Caltechdad. I always get a kick out of seeing that CTG's high school mementos are still in the same places they were ten years ago.

More to say later on, but a couple of items first:

Hurricane Dennis did its worst, which fortunately wasn't too bad. No deaths in the USA (condolences to the Caribbean, which lost 20 people), and less damage than last year's Hurricane Ivan, which took the same path. Hopefully the US death toll will stay at zero, and crooked reconstruction contractors will be kept away.

Via Instapundit: WeAreNotAfraid.com.

This totally rocks. People send in pictures of themselves, or someone close, with the words "We Are Not Afraid" support the people of London against terrorism. Some people who are good with PhotoShop also have sent in some neat stuff.

Some of my favorites are here, here, here, here, and here.

It's such a simple thing, but I felt really uplifted looking at some of the submissions. I guess it's that feeling that the world is smaller than it often seems, and that good people will always come together to support each other. It makes me feel like many from around the world would care and help, if God forbid, something heinous happened much closer to my home. I'm sure Londoners who visit the site are uplifted.

Comments:
Thanks for the info on Dennis and WeAreNotAfraid.
 
Thanks. We enjoyed seeing you too.
 
No problem. VW, I'm glad your mom and sisters are safe. It seems like Pensacola has had a giant hurricane magnet the past couple of years. Congrats on the mu.nu move. I love the graphics, especially the running dog.

GMT and CTG, good luck finding a place. And you're welcome up here if you need a break from the stress.
 
Hi! I was doing a search for local blogs and found your attachment parenting mommy related site! I am also a local to Fresno and have a local parenting resource site that might interest you or your readers: Fresno Family. Just thought I'd mention it in case you or any of your fellow local bloggers might want to check it out. Its full of all kinds of local info for parents in the central valley. I've worked hard on it for nearly 5 years so there's a lot there. Anyway, take care!
 
Post a Comment