Sunday, October 02, 2005

Heavy Moving 

My big move to Alameda is now only nine days away. I have to get all the utilities transferred, change the address on my mail, plus disassemble what furniture I can. This weekend has been like two more workdays. Since I'll be in Fresno next weekend for my mom's birthday, it was this weekend or bust.

Fortunately, there are resources that make moving slightly less intimidating. The US Postal Service has complied some tips on how to properly pack a wide variety of household items. Someone (with a sense of humor) even added useful tips for how to move the family hippopotamus. For the USPS site:



You'll need:

* 1,000-gallon tank per hippo
* 1,000 gallons of water
* Crane
* 1-pound sedative
* Soothing hippo music
* 2 Aspirin (for you)



How to pack:

1. Fill your tank with 800 gallons of water. Start yesterday. Remember, a medium-sized hippo takes up at least 200 gallons. (Just out of curiosity, why do you have a hippo, anyway?)

2. Apply sedative. Take two Aspirin.

3. Hold it, hold it - put the hippo in the tank, first. Start with soothing hippo music, followed by a large winch and crane.

4. Now go relax in a hot bath before the forklift arrives.



WAIVER: We in no way advocate moving a hippo or any animal without the express advice and consent of your local vet or zoo keeper. If you'd like advice from a veterinarian on moving with pets click here .


My hippo is all set to move. I've been keeping him under the bed. Unfortunately, he's kind of hard to hide from company.


There's a Hippopotamus Under My Bed by Mark Thaler (1977)Posted by Picasa

At least my hippopotamus didn't eat the teacher, like this one did.


...oh yeah, the move. I can't wait until it happens and is done. I'll keep you all informed.

Comments:
Too bad you can't do it in little pieces like I did (and am still doing).

However, having just gone through a big move, I wish you the best of luck.

Congrats again on the new place!
 
Thanks. Come up and bing some hippo food.
 
I don't think it's any of the government's business why I have a hippo, and if I want to move him, I should be able to do so with out questioning.

And I'll do it on my own time table, no reason to start yesterday when I can start tommorrow!
 
Too funny! Reminds me of one my son's christmas songs - All I want for Christmas is a Hippo.
 
Post a Comment